A Walk on Water aboard Steamship Shieldhall is your perfect guided tour to the history of Southampton Water and The Solent seaway.
Join us on this unique opportunity of a cruise on Southampton Water like no other. Let our See Southampton guide describe the history and the sights of one of the busiest stretches of water in the world aboard “The Steamship Shieldhall”.
SS Shieldhall is the largest working steam ship in Britain and as a proud member of the National Historic Fleet, she serves as a sea going tribute to Britain’s precious maritime heritage
- The History of Southampton Docks and the famous ‘Double Tide’
- The invaders – including the Vikings and French raiders – who have left their mark on Southampton
- The role of Southampton Water in aviation history
- Southampton as a military port – the role of the Docks in World War 1 and World War II and links to Royal Victoria Country Park
- Southampton Water as a defensive outpost – the development of Henry VIII’s coastal castles including Netley, Calshot and Hurst; the sinking of the Mary Rose and the fate of the Grace Dieu
- The ships that ply their trade on Southampton Water, from the mighty cruise ships to the humble tugs and sludge boats
- The Isle of Wight – the island’s links with Queen Victoria, The Beatles and Doctor Who
- The unlikely star of the 1970s film ‘Rollerball’
SS Shieldhall sailings in 2016:
4, 5, 18, 19 June; 3, 23, 24 July; 12, 14, 15 August; 3, 4, 10, 11, 17, 18 September
19, 20, 21, 22 August
For more information please complete the contact form below.